Lambert Roper & Horsfield Limited Accountants Calderdale, Huddersfield
Business Services

Most businesses are very good at providing the products and services that their customers need – but running a business involves much more than that.

Click here to find out more...

Private Clients

The financial world is a complicated place and there are times when you’ll need some expert help.

Click here to find out more...

Wealth Management

When it comes to your finances, taking time out to seek expert advice is always a wise investment.

Click here to find out more...

Specialist Services

We also provide specialist services to a range of other clients.

Click here to find out more...

You are here: Home » Latest News » Company tax returns must include COVID-19 grants says HMRC

Company tax returns must include COVID-19 grants says HMRC

Taxpayers are being reminded that COVID-19 support grants or payments should be declared on company tax returns as they are taxable.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has issued a reminder that the filing deadline for company tax returns (CT600) is 12 months after the end of the accounting period it covers.

The deadline to pay Corporation Tax will depend on any taxable profits and when the end of the accounting period occurs.

HMRC says that Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) grants, Eat Out to Help Out (EOHO) payments, or any other support payments made by local authorities or Government, must also be reported as income when calculating taxable profits.

Company tax return

If you received a CJRS grant or an EOHO payment, you will need to do both of the following:

  • Include it as income when calculating your taxable profits in line with the relevant accounting standards
  • Report it separately on your Company Tax Return using the CJRS and EOHO boxes.

You should record all other taxable COVID-19 payments as income when you calculate your taxable profits.

If you have already filed a return and have not declared your Coronavirus support grants or payment as taxable income, you will need to submit an amended return.

CJRS grants or EOHO payments must be reported separately in the boxes provided on the CT600 corporate tax return. These boxes were added on 6 April 2021.

It is important to update third-party software by downloading the latest version to be able to complete the relevant boxes in the company tax return.

Taxable grants include:

  • Test and trace or self-isolation payments in England, Scotland and Wales
  • Coronavirus Statutory Sick Pay Rebate
  • Coronavirus Business Support Grants (also known as local authority grants or business rate grants).

When furloughed employees were paid through real-time information (RTI), the employer was responsible for making the usual PAYE, National Insurance contributions (NIC) and automatic enrolment deductions.

Employers must treat the grant as taxable income for Corporation/Income Tax purposes but can deduct employment costs as normal when calculating their taxable profits.

Link: Covid grants must be reported on company tax returns

The New LRH Client Portal

We are delighted to announce that the LRH client portal (powered by Onvio, a Thomson Reuters company) is now fully operational… Continue reading →

Get in touch!

Telephone: 01422 360788