Lambert Roper & Horsfield Limited Accountants Calderdale, Huddersfield
Business Services

Most businesses are very good at providing the products and services that their customers need – but running a business involves much more than that.

Click here to find out more...

Private Clients

The financial world is a complicated place and there are times when you’ll need some expert help.

Click here to find out more...

Wealth Management

When it comes to your finances, taking time out to seek expert advice is always a wise investment.

Click here to find out more...

Specialist Services

We also provide specialist services to a range of other clients.

Click here to find out more...

You are here: Home » Latest News » Pension holders to be refunded £54 million of overpaid tax

Pension holders to be refunded £54 million of overpaid tax

New figures released by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) have revealed that it handed back more than £54 million to people who had overpaid tax on pension withdrawals in the last three months alone.

The latest quarterly data for 1 July 2019 to 30 September 2019 is the highest figure since pension freedoms were introduced in 2015.

HMRC processed 10,379 P55 forms for flexibly accessed pension overpayments, along with 5,253 P53Z forms for small pension lump sums and 1,753 P50Z applications in this time.

As a result of this, HMRC was required to pay out a total of £54.97 million and it means that the total amount of ‘emergency tax’ on withdrawals, which has since been repaid to savers is now £535 million.

Former Pensions Minister, Steve Webb, said: “Even by their own low standards, HMRC has outdone itself the last three months, taking more than £54 million of savers’ money in income tax to which they were not entitled.

“It cannot be right that tens of thousands of people each year have too much tax taken out of their pension and then have the hassle of filling in a form to get back money that is rightfully theirs.”

Overpayments tend to arise due to how the current rules are laid out. Currently, when someone makes a pension withdrawal, HMRC assumes that they will go on to make more withdrawals in the same tax year.

This may mean that some people are pushed into a higher tax bracket under emergency coding. In order to recoup this money, pensioners are required to complete either a P55, P53Z or P50Z form.

Link: Claim a tax refund when you’ve taken a small pension lump sum / Claim a tax refund if you’ve stopped work and flexibly accessed your pension / Claim back a flexibly accessed pension overpayment

The New LRH Client Portal

We are delighted to announce that the LRH client portal (powered by Onvio, a Thomson Reuters company) is now fully operational… Continue reading →

Get in touch!

Telephone: 01422 360788